The EIRIS Foundation was founded in the 1980s and originated out of a group of churches and charities needing research to help them with their concerns about investing in companies contributing to Apartheid South Africa.
In the 1980s – 2016 the EIRIS Foundation was the sole parent company of EIRIS, a research agency providing environmental, social and governance research to investors. EIRIS has now become part of the merged entity Vigeo Eiris, and the EIRIS Foundation remains a 5% shareholder.
Past activities by the EIRIS Foundation have included:
- Increasing the numbers of charities investing ethically
- Creating a new one-stop shop website on ethical money to promote responsible investment and encourage more consumers to choose ethical options as part of their financial planning
- Working with charities and NGOs to explore how best they can influence the direction of responsible investment
- Undertaking new research that is not yet commercially viable
- Making responsible investment more widely practiced and/or more effective
- Disseminating existing and new responsible investment research to a wider audience